Instructions for Post-Cosmetic Tattoo Care
Thank you for choosing The Skin Hub for your cosmetic tattoo. Please read and follow these instructions carefully to ensure proper healing and optimal results. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to call us at 03 5243 3488.
First 5 days
- There is little after-pain following your cosmetic tattoo treatment.
- You will need to purchase Medicone Gel Aftercare, which is available at The Skin Hub. It's a medical-grade silicone gel that reduces redness, itching, and discomfort, reduces recovery time post-procedure, and helps protect against infection. Using a cotton tip, apply a thin layer of Medicone morning and night for five days unless advised differently. Before applying a new layer of Medicone, make sure you gently wipe over the area.
- DO NOT USE ANY OTHER MAKE UP OR SKINCARE PRODUCT ON THE TATTOO AREA FOR 5 DAYS OR THE COLOUR MAY CHANGE.
- No soap, water, or cleansers on the treated area for 5 days.
- Avoid sweating for 5 days.
- Pat dry and apply your aftercare gel morning and night for 5 days.
- The area where the tattoo has been applied MUST BE KEPT MOIST for successful healing without scabbing.
- Please DO NOT pick the tattooed area as the colour can come away while bonding.
- No scratching the area as it can also pick out the tattoo, just tap the area if itchy.
Looking After Your Cosmetic Tattoo:
- Colours will appear darker/brighter and more sharply defined immediately following the procedure, colours will then lighten and soften in three to ten days. Often clients will think that they have lost their colour, or that it has lightened too much. If you wait the full 4-6 weeks you will see that the colour will gradually return. This is why your adjustments have to wait to be done after 4-6 weeks. It is completely normal to lose up to 80% of the colour on the first session, please don't worry, that is why we have a perfecting session.
- EYEBROWS: It is unusual to get swelling. If so, use a cold compress when you get home. There is no after-pain, only a slight tenderness around the Eyebrow Tattoo. Immediately after and for the next twenty-four hours, continue to wipe the Eyebrows. They will weep a clear fluid (this is normal). Wipe them firmly to remove the fluid; otherwise, a crusting or scab will build up, which is not what we want. Use your Medicone Gel sparingly morning and night daily for 5 days.
- LIPS: No hot/spicy or citrus drinks for the next 4 hours. It is usual to get swelling on the lip. Use a cold pack for 5 mins when you get home and again in 3-4 hours if required. There is no after-pain, only dryness on the lip. Keep moist with Bepanthan Cream, Medicone Gel or Zovirax Cream if you suffer from cold sores, Ice can also be used to freeze the virus. The colour after a few days will be lighter, after 4-6 weeks the true colour will show through. The colour will look a little different at various times of the day, due to your skin's responses, and different lighting will show a slight colour change. You must have a touch-up in 4-6 weeks to retain colour. Lipstick cannot be worn for 5 days; the Medicone Gel will give a gloss look anyway. You can also buy 'FAMVIR' from the chemist now to help avoid cold sores. It is 3 pills to take the day before, the day of, and the day after. If you feel any adjustment to shape/colour is needed, you must allow 4 weeks for the skin to heal.
- EYELINER: The eye area will feel like windburn. Rest eyes after treatment. It is not necessary to apply Medicone unless you are sensitive or have prolonged swelling, dryness, or itching. It does however make the eyes feel less tight.
- Do not use mascara or eye make-up for 5 days. You can purchase gel eye drops from the chemist for extra comfort.
- Apply sunscreen over your cosmetic tattoo and wear sunglasses. Exposure to the sun over time can cause fading and colour change. Cover the Tattoo with Vaseline when swimming in salt or chlorinated water if you want to avoid the bleaching effect. Any chemicals of any kind could interfere with the bonding process. Any Glycolic Acid or Peels must be kept completely away from the Tattoo as it seems to lighten the colour with continuous use.
- Check moisturizers and cleansers as they can also fade tattoo colour if they contain Vitamins or AHA's.
- You cannot donate blood for 6 months following any cosmetic tattoo procedure.
Thank you again for trusting the staff at The Skin Hub with your beautiful face 😊